Are your iPhone message effects not working? I’m so sorry! No worries, I’ve got the quick fix here. ?
iOS 10 brought along some hilarious and fun new message effects like fireworks, confetti, and stickers, but there are a couple of possible reasons you could be missing out on the fun. ?? Here are the steps to get you back to the party.
1. Update your iPhone to iOS 10
- Head over to Settings > General > Software Update and check for update
- If iOS 10 is available, press Download and Install or Install. Your iPhone will download the update, which could take a while depending on how fast your internet speed is, then it will ake 15-30 minutes to complete the update.
The new iMessage effects are only available for iPhones on iOS 10 or newer. If you have iOS 7, 8, or 9 you will not be able to partake in the new iMessage goodness.
A couple of possible snags when updating:
- If it says you are up-to-date but you are still on iOS 9 or earlier, it means that your device does not support iOS 10 and never will ?
- If you are able to get iOS 10 but your iPhone is full, you’ll need to free up some storage before you run it. Go to Settings > General > Storage and iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (under top section) and you can see a list of items on your iPhone that are taking up the most space from greatest to least. This will help you decide what to remove from your iPhone to update it.
- If you need more help, here’s the best article I’ve found about freeing up space on your iPhone.
2. Disable “Reduce Motion” in Accessibility
Navigate to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion and make sure the switch is turned off (grey, not green)
The new iMessage effects only work if you have the “Reduce Motion” option disabledin your iPhone. Many people have reduced the motion of their iPhone out of the false belief that it boosts speed and battery life. Apple has optimized iOS to handle these transitions just fine. This is probably the reason your iPhone message effects are not working!
[Plan C]Delete the iMessage conversation that isn’t showing effects
If steps 1 and 2 don’t resolve your issue, go to your list of conversations in iMessage and slide left on the conversation you want to delete, then tap the red delete button. You will lose your entire texting history with them, just FYI.
[Last Resort] ? Reset All Settings ?
If you are truly desperate and nothing has worked so far, resetting all settings will most likely resolve your issue.
Head over to Settings > General > Reset > and press Reset All Settings
Reset All Settings is the step you take before completely erasing your iPhone. You will not lose photos, email accounts, calendar accounts, contacts accounts, text messages, apps, or app data, but you will lose the following:
- Saved Wi-Fi Networks
- Wallpaper settings
- Anything in Settings, basically
[Rock Bottom] ? Erase and set up as new ?
This is the nuclear option. Only use it if you are in dire straights. You will lose everything and completely erase your iPhone. You’ve been warned.
Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
Again, this will completely erase your iPhone and start you over, so please only do it if necessary!
I hope this article helped you out. ? If it did, share it on social media or comment below to let me know!
Oh, and if you have another fix, please let me know in the comments. If you want more articles like this, sign up for your newsletter!
Questions answered in this article:
Why can’t I see iMessage effects in iOS 10?
Why does my iPhone say “sent with fireworks”?
Why does my iPhone say “sent with balloons”?
Why does my iPhone say “sent with confetti”?
Why does my iPhone say “sent with lasers”?
Why does my iPhone say “sent with slam”?
Why does my iPhone say “sent with loud”?
Why does my iPhone say “sent with gentle”?
Why does my iPhone say “sent with invisible ink”?
What are these balloons in my iPhone messages?
How do I get lasers to show in iOS 10?